Why goal setting works
Everyone talks about the magic of goal setting and achieving your life long dreams, but why goal setting works and what exactly is goal setting?
Well, goal setting is just a process – but it is a very important and personal process that helps you get what you really want out of life.
Throughout ancient and modern history, there is a clear link between people that set goals and people that succeed, because people who set goals have a clear direction towards their chosen destination - people who succeed have goals, and people who have goals succeed.
So, goal setting helps you:
Goals are well-defined targets that give you direction and motivation – they are your road map to success (that is, what YOU consider to be success), your life’s plan, your personal guide to the future.
- Work out what you really want – this is personal. You’re the only one who knows what you really want, and it’s often not what you think.
- Work out a plan of attack to help you achieve what you really want – there is no point having a great goal if you don’t know how to get there.
- Give you the motivation to put your plan into action – since your goals will be personal and meaningful to you and based on what you really want, you will be motivated to achieve it. But you also need the right 'can-do' attitude!
- Keep track of where you are going by helping you focus on the 'big picture', to ensure you don’t lose your direction – it’s easy to get distracted by life’s little obstacles, so goal setting will help you focus your time and energy in the right direction.
Goals can be focused on developing a new skill, improving your current skills, kicking old habits like smoking, or developing better ones like exercise and healthy eating habits. Goal setting can also be used to produce an outcome or achieving a dream – it could be achieving more harmonious relationships with your family, wealth creation or achieving a career goal.
The key to goal setting success is to keep your goals 'personal' – they are yours and yours alone, although they may include aspects involving family and friends. The most common mistake people make when setting goals is using someone else’s goals as your own - don't fall into this trap and become someone you're not! Goal setting works because it’s like a map - people who know where they are going and how to get there are more likely to get there than people who don’t. Goals are like your target destination, and the Action Plans developed as part of the goal setting process are your map. More specifically, goal setting works because:
- It gives you something to aim for – not only that, it gives you something MEANINGFUL and personal to aim for.
- It helps you focus your time and energy on achieving your goals – instead of your efforts being spent on meaningless activities and tasks, your action plan will give you a clear plan of attack by setting your priorities.
- It gives you motivation – because the goals are MEANINGFUL and personal to you, you’ll want to achieve them. You'll look forward to achieving them. This gives you the motivation and energy to keep going towards your end goal.
Now you can see clearly why goal setting works. So, what are your goals?
For more information, check out achieve-goal-setting-success.com – this site gives you all the FREE tools and advice for achieving your own personal success through goal setting. There’s even a tutorial style workbook to guide you through the surprisingly simple process of goal setting.
Return from Why goal setting works to Why set goals
Return from Why goal setting works to Goal setting for success Home